Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Give em' Heaven and baptize the Hell out of them


I am so excited to get out and teach the people of Utah! :) We had a substitute teacher this week and he told our class the phrase above. I've adopted it as one of my new mottos. haha Week 5 is almost here and I'm half way done with my stay here at the MTC. Overall at the midpoint this experience has taught me a lot about not only Spanish but how amazing the gospel of Jesus Christ is. I am really loosing myself in the work and I LOVE IT!

This week was full of changes once again. My newest companion is Elder Bockelman. He grew up in Layton Utah but is from Portsmouth Virginia. My whole district has either lived in Utah at one point or currently lives in Utah except for me. I’m starting to understand where the term "Utah Mormon" comes from. I do know one girl that doesn't fit in that category though. :)

Last Tuesday I got my hair cut and it turned out pretty good. I was worried it would look bad but I was really impressed. One of the stylists said she dated President Lenard's son and he expects a lot out of his missionaries. It was good to find out a little bit about him and his wife. One reason I love Tuesday's is because a lot of missionaries leave so they end up putting the things they cannot take with them in these boxes in the bathrooms called "the free box". I'm telling you I have found some awesome stuff in these bins. It has almost become a hobby of mine to check them every Tuesday night. I have so much Candy it doesn't all fit in one drawer! All future missionaries should take advantage of this when they come to the MTC.

Wednesday was the day I moved back into my old room and back to my same old bed. Elder Kirkham left for Spain and now our district is down to six Elders. It’s nice to finally have one companion again.

Thursday was just a really good day for some reason. I just felt like I learned a ton and my companion and I really got along well. I went to the travel office just to find out if I'm flying or driving and I found out... I'M FLYING! It's a little strange that they have me fly from Salt Lake to St. George but I'm happy to be flying. The only bummer is I leave on April 27th. All the other Elders in my district leave the 26th so I'm going to be with another district for a day.

Saturday I saw my old friend Cody Hover! I played basketball with him back in 8th grade and then he moved to Utah. Elder hover is going to Chile. I'm so excited for him. It was great to have a blast from the past.

This Sunday was fast Sunday because next week is General Conference. President Brown gave a really good talk during mission conference about the Atonement and the sacrifice Christ endured when he atoned for all our sins. I just had one of those WOW moments where I realized I need to be more thankful por este gran milagro en mi vida. We all have been given so much and we should take advantage of all the blessings we receive on this Earth. We have the ability to repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and return to live with our Father in Heaven if we live according to the Commandments.
Something funny that has happened this week is to hear each morning about the things I say in my sleep. I guess I have been talking in Spanish the past few nights and it is really fluent! haha Elder Schnieder says I speak better Spanish in my sleep than he does when he is awake. That probably means I speak better Spanish when I'm asleep too. We came to the conclusion that I should just start teaching when I'm asleep. I never realized how much I talk in my sleep. I just wish I knew what I was saying. :)

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week and can watch General Conference this Sunday. The men that speak have been called of God and their messages are inspiring. I've been looking forward to GC for weeks! I'm so thankful for what great friends and family I have. I know that as you keep the commandments you will be blessed. As it says in Alma 36:1, My son give ear to my words; for I swear inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land. I was reminded of that in a letter I received this week. The commandments are like a seatbelt. They are there to protect us and keep us safe. God is love. Vaya con Dios.

Love,
Elder Bennion

P.S. Don't get prideful with your basketball skills when you have bad knees. It only leads to pain later. That's just my word of advise this week. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment