Monday, May 16, 2011

The Worth Of Souls Is Great In the Sight Of GOD...BAPTISMS!

Wow this week seemed to fly by! It only seems like a few days ago I was writing my last weekly letter. I hope life is treating you all well. Hopefully the weather has been better in Washington and Hawaii than it has been here. For some reason it has been really wet here which from what I hear is abnormal. Today is really nice for some reason though so maybe it is going to get hotter.
This week Elder Brown and I were pretty occupied with preparing for Edgardo and Pablo's baptisms. We were busy teaching them every day and making sure they were completely prepared. Satan (Yes I spelled it correct KRT) is working his hardest on people right before their baptism. That tricky Devil! Tuesday we were at Edgardo's planning his baptismal program and he choose me to give a talk. I was so honored he waned me to give it but at the same time I was scared. My Spanish is atrocious and I had to speak in front of a group of native speakers. I guess this experience was preparing me for my 20 minute talk I have to give in two weeks during sacrament.

So my most embarrassing thing that happened this week happened while we were at the stake center. We were at the stake center looking for a video to share with Pablo from mormon.org. I went to the bathroom to get some toilet paper from a stall and so I bent over and my pens fall out of my shirt pocket and into the toilet! I was so mad. So I'm standing there trying to make the decision, do I reach in and grab them or do I just say forget that and leave them. The water was clean (THANKFULLY) but still I have major germ issues and just the thought of reaching into a toilet was killing me! Finally I just said what the heck and reached into the toilet and grabbed them. I think I washed my hands and pens for five minutes in the scalding hot water. I just remember thinking to myself how I never would have done that before my mission. Elder Brown got a good laugh out of it... and I did too after I stopped thinking of how nayyyyysty that was.

Since we had baptisms this week I went on exchanges to the Gunnison area, aka La Pistola Espanola. haha It covers Gunnion, Richfeild, Monroe, Loa, and some other towns that I can't think of right now. The area is gigantic but it was a blast getting to see a new area especially when Richfield seems big compared to Ephraim. I did find out this week though that my area actually goes from Sterling all the way to Indianola! Indianola is literally on the mission boundaries. As soon as we got out to Richfield though a fellow shipper gave us a ride and his car shuts off while we were driving! We were driving down
Main Street
(I think) in Monroe and his car overheated! Elder Haire is on of the craziest elders I know. He just  was dying laughing the whole time. You would think it would have been a bad day after that but it just made the day that much more exciting. We didn't get home until late but Thursday was a blast!

Skip to Saturday and all I can say is WOW! I love this work! There is a ton of other great aspects to missionary work besides baptisms and I hope other missionaries (including myself) remember that from time to time but baptisms are incredible!!!! All the hard work finally pays off when you see these two great men in white and in the baptismal font. Seriously I could do this forever if all people were desirerous to learn of the gospel. Helping people find eternal salvation really makes you realize how insignificant other things of the world are. My talk went... so-so. I don't think I did that well but luckily this day was about Edgardo and Pablo, not me. Elder Brown and I felt like we were going to burst from all the food we ate. Surprisingly though I have lost weight since being in Ephraim. I'm not getting fat Kaylee. ;) Elder Brown says it's because we eat with the white people mostly and not Hispanics. Having Snow College a couple blocks from our house helps a ton too. It keeps us in shape.

Sunday Edgardo and Pablo received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Edgardo asked me if I would confirm him a member after his baptism. I prepared how to say everything in Spanish but at the last minute brother Hirst did it. I was a little bummed and Edgardo had wanted me to but I wasn't going to throw a fit about it. What counts is Edgardo now has the constant companion of the Holy Ghost.

It is just amazing to see the little things you take for granted when you are not a missionary. I just feel so blessed and close to my Father in Heaven doing His work. How blessed are we to have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives!? I know we have the one and only true church here on the Earth today. "Yea, I know that I'm nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in His strength I can do all things; yea behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise His name forever." Alma 26:12 We are only as strong as our faith in God and Jesus Christ. Through them we can receive and perform many miracles. Take care of yourselves and serve your brothers and sisters. I can promise that you will find joy in your labors. Vaya con Dios.

God is love,
Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment