Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 13: Woah Woah Woahskie Broskie The Gospel Is a GOOD Thing


Hey ya'll another week is in the book and I couldn't be having a better time. The weather has been so strange here the past week. I swear it feels like I'm in Washington. One morning I woke up and Elder Brown and I went out to go over to Snow College to work out. (We are there almost every morning from ) I was still half asleep and I thought that I was walking out to a spring morning in Vancouver. This week Elder Brown and I made it a goal to really talk to everyone we saw. The funny thing is that even though 95% of the people we talk to are nice you always get a few unhappy campers. What is crazy is the people who are the meanest to us and say some of the craziest things are the members who have fallen away from the church. You would think it would be non members who would want nothing to do with us but nope, it is the in actives you get an earful from. It makes me sad to see these people so unhappy and not being to experience the joys and love of having Heavenly Father in their lives.

I've started to become bolder in my approaches with people this past week. If I've learned one thing from the RM's they all say they wish they had not been afraid to talk to people. Granted you need to have tact but I'm trying to be less shy about sharing the gospel with people. A lot of times people need you to be straight with them and not sugar coat things in order for them to understand which is a change for me. The greatest thing of all though is we have the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I know what I'm sharing and saying will benefit everyone's lives.

This we we put several people on date to be baptized. Two of them are sheep herders so the key will be to getting them to come to church and be ready to be baptized before they head to the fields in the mountains. On Friday Elder Brown and I went on splits for the first time! I never have had to teach by myself so this definitely helped me grow in my teaching ability. It was definitely a bit overwhelming at first but I said a prayer and knew I had been given all the tools I needed to teach. I ended up teaching Edgardo, Wilder (he is preparing to be baptized), and 3 other sheep herders. I invited one to be baptized but he said no. He just isn't ready I suppose and wants to talk with his family first. After these lessons we were driving back home and I reflected on my time in the field so far. It is amazing how in 3 weeks time I'm able to plan, teach, and invite people to be baptized all on my own. Sometimes I just stop and humbly bow my head and thank my Father in Heaven for these gifts, talents and experiences he is blessing me with.

Thursday night President Leonard stopped by to do a planning session with Elder Brown and I. It was a really good day and that made the planning session go even better. Sometimes it is all you can do to get through a planning session, make all your calls for the following day, and write in the area book at after a long hard days work but you find some way to always get it done. On Friday we had interviews and our district meeting with President and sister Leonard. I just love President Leonard! I just hope one day I get to serve in St. George so I can be closer to President Leonard and learn more from him! He is a choice individual and an exemplary example of the kind of man I want to be. Transfers happen June 8th, I have a feeling Elder Brown might be out of here. :/ Luckily that day isn't for a couple of weeks though. Today Elder Brown and I are headed to the Manti Temple! We were able to switch our P day to Tuesday so we could go. I have been dying to go ever since the day I got to Ephraim.

I hope this week goes well for everyone. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think being a missionary could be this much fun. I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world. If you work hard and have a desire to do good, the Lord will bless you. Pray as if everything depends on God. Then get up off your knees and work as if everything depends on you. I promise that if you do this you will be blessed and rewarded. Find the little nuggets of joy in your life. Vaya con Dios.

God is love,
Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment