Monday, August 27, 2012

Semana 76:I Wouldn't Even Trade These Two Years for an Infiniti G35


Semana 76:I Wouldn't Even Trade These Two Years for an Infiniti G35

Hey y'all! Well it has been a pretty good week out here in the good 'ol desert of San Jorge. I wish I could think of everything off the top of my head right now. I have about fifteen minutes left to write so I will try to cover the good stuff. :)

The week started out slow. We have been struggling to find the elect people that are truly interested in this message of salvation. If people only knew how this gospel could bless their lives they would be lining up in troves to hear the message of the restoration. Unfortunately, Satan is winning the battle and will continue to win this battle until the second coming but hey, we have a secret weapon old scratch doesn't have... THE BOOK OF MORMON. :)

We have been walking a lot! I wake up every morning with black circles under my eyes but somehow we just keep going. Some of the other missionaries that have cars have been using our fellow-shippers and so then they don't have time to go out with us. Sometimes I feel like we get the short end of the stick but as Elder Eggen says, the Lord recognizes our sacrifice and blesses us according. He is such a good companion. He inspires me to apply myself more in my personal and language studies. I call him "Elder Davis" from time to time as a reference to him going to UC Davis. He just is a really smart yet personable missionary. I'm willing to admit he is more Christ-like than me. It has helped me a lot to strive to be a better man.

We went out with a fellow shipper this past Friday who we had never used before. He was a really nice kid that is 20 years old and he is a native of St. George. His dad is Hispanic so he knows Spanish even though he is more Americanized. So that night he pulls up and takes us to our appointment in this beautiful Infiniti G35. We got in the car and he has his new iPhone hooked up and he was wearing a silk purple button down shirt. My first thought was that he must've been a really good missionary and he got blessed when he came home. We got to talking, mostly about the material things and about his family and he mentioned he hadn't served a mission. We talked some more as we knocked the doors of an apartment complex and he told us he has been working since he was 14 and just feels like a 40 year old in a 20 year old's body. I thought that was sad that he was so young but felt so old. I feel completely opposite! :PI shared my experiences I've had in coming on my mission and how much it has helped me but he said he just doesn't want to serve a mission. He was a really good fellow-shipper and really helped us out and for that I am so thankful. More than anything though I'm thankful for the lesson he taught me. At the end of the night we got into our apartment and I looked at Elder Eggen and said, "I'm so thankful you chose to serve a mission. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else right now". He agreed with me. It was such a learning experience for me. Even though this person was a year younger than me, has a really great job, has a car I would die to have and plenty of money in the bank, I wouldn't trade where I'm at for anything in the world. Not even an Infiniti G35 car. :) It makes me smile thinking about that night I could literally feel that Elder Eggen and I are happier than we would ever be if we were not serving the Master. "
... though worthy to serve, [many] may feel they have more important priorities. Well do I remember the Lord’s promise: “For them that honour me I will honour” (1 Samuel 2:30). None of us will honor our Heavenly Father and our Savior more than by serving as a devoted, compassionate missionary." (The Lord Needs Missionaries By President Thomas S. Monson) The call wasn't given out of convenience us 19 year old boys. The call wasn't given to those that just "want" to serve. The call was extended to every worthy young man and I don't regret a single minute I've baked under the Utah sun. I'm livin' the dream!

We finally got to meet with an investigator we have been seeing for several weeks. He works at Olive Garden and Red Robin and hardly ever has time off. We were able to sit down and explain the Restoration of the Priesthood and how the Prophet Joseph Smith, in his sincere desire to know of the truth, kneeled in a grove of trees in upstate New York and there, saw God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. It has been awhile since we have had such a good lesson like that. We were on splits a couple nights before and Elder Eggen had invited him to be baptized. He said he wanted to learn more and wasn't ready. I explained the feelings/promptings of the Holy Ghost and he expressed he was feeling those feelings he had never felt in the Catholic Church. I asked him if he would follow those promptings and the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the Priesthood authority of God and he agreed. Lessons like those are why I serve a mission. Teaching the gospel has brought me more joy than my own conversion. "
And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the akingdom of my Father, how great will be your bjoy if you should bring many csouls unto me!" (D&C18:16) I love being a missionary!

Well I am out of time. Those were just a few of the miracles we had this week. I hope the funeral went well. Give both my Grandma's kisses for me. I hope Grandma Candy gets better soon. She needs to know that she has to eat! I love you all. I can't believe Kodi leaves for school in 21days! Time goes so fast. Vaya Con Dios.

Dios es amor,

Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment