Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 39: La Obra Se Sigue Moviendo




HO HO HO TIME FOR CHRISTMAS! Gosh I just love the holidays. We are officially in the countdown to Christmas. It is crazy how that time of the year is already here again. It's been funny here in Utah; people seem to get ready for Christmas much quicker than back home. Some people had Christmas decorations up in early November! Now, a lot more people have decorations up, but it made me laugh to see Christmas stuff in early November.

This week has been a crazy one. What's new though, right? I think the difference between this week and the previous hectic weeks is that I'm shouldering more of the load while I'm training a new companion. My new companions’ name is Elder Valdez. He is from Guatemala but came out of Layton Utah. He has been a really great son so far! hehehe When we went into the relief society room and we were looking at all the new missionaries I saw him and figured he would be my companion. Elder Hayden and I had seen his picture in the mission office and Elder Hayden “called” me getting Elder Valdez. Speaking of Elder Hayden, he went home the same morning I got assigned to Elder Valdez. On Thanksgiving I saw a picture of him at the airport in Redmond with his family. He looked really happy. We had way too many fun times to even count!

This past week has been weird for me seeing so many missionaries I know go home or prepare to go home in two weeks. It's weird to me to think I'm training a new missionary that less than one month ago was just a regular person. It makes me feel old in a sense and at the same time I'm missing the Elders that I looked up to when I was a “greenie.”

Training has not been as hard as I expected it to be, which is a blessing. The hardest thing about training is just planning out our day on my own. Having to plan who we will visit and at what time so that we can be using our time effectively is crucial. Anyone can be a missionary but it takes a concerted effort to make sure you are maximizing these two years we have been called to serve. On top of that, I forget at times Elder Valdez doesn't know some of the little things and I just expect him to already know what to do. I have the up most faith in him that he is going to become a great missionary.

This week I also did something I've never done before and that is baptismal interviews. I expected it to be hard but it is actually a lot of fun. I love doing baptismal interviews because something I've learned is that we all have a different story one reason as to why we love this church so much. Leadership has also taught me to have more respect for numbers. Looking at how other companionships are doing number-wise helps me to know how to help them and help our area as well. Patience and Christ-like love have been attributes I have grown in the past week. I have more love for the Elders and Sisters in our district and I want them to succeed.

The mission is going really well right now. At times it feels like the world is resting on my shoulders with all the hats I'm wearing right now but I love it out here in San Geezy. In times of need I remember my Heavenly Father is only a prayer away. Replace fear with faith.

We had another baptism yesterday and it went really well. The members came out in truckloads for the service. I just love these members of the 28th branch aka "La rama verdadera". I feel like this branch is home to me. The members always want to feed us and I feel their love every Sunday when I see them. I'm so thankful for this area, my Father in Heaven's vineyard! I'm thankful for the members and I'm thankful for my family. Thank you for all you do for me! I love you mom! Vaya con Dios.

God is love,
Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment