Monday, December 5, 2011

Week 40: He Is The Reason For The Season




Hey everyone,
I hope you all had a great week. Crazy to think one year ago I was just now getting home from Hawaii and receiving my mission call to St. George. It's been cold out here this past week. I expected high sixties and low seventies in the winter but it isn't! The past week has been in the fifties and in the twenties at night! Fortunately, we still have a car for the rest of the transfer but I have a feeling next transfer we will be walking. Before I forget, if you send me packages for Christmas send them to 454 S. 500 E. Packages to the mission office are taking forever. I feel like packages could get to China faster than they get to me. Also, I got a package of candy from the dentist that weighs close to ten pounds so I don't think I will be needing candy or gum for Christmas. That was definitely the most surprising package I've ever received.

This week was really good in a lot of respects. Tuesday we had zone conference with Elder Zivic of The Seventy. He and his wife are from Argentina. It always is a pleasure to be in the presence of a special witness of Jesus Christ. We didn't learn anything new or groundbreaking from Elder Zivic but more so, I received a reaffirmation of the things we are doing right.

On Friday night we had our branch Christmas party. A lot of people came out for the party. What can I say, other than Latinos love pachangas. It was hectic just like the Halloween party, trying to talk with everyone and let them know how important they are to me. I sat there for a few minutes just looking out over all the people and I just felt so happy. I looked at all the faces I've come to know and all the people I've taught and baptized. It was a very nostalgic moment for me because I remembered why I'm here. Seeing all these people in the true Church of Jesus Christ makes my struggles all worth it. I have a framed picture on my night stand of Jesus that says, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." A mission is not easy. You are tested mentally, physically, and spiritually. There are times when nothing is going right, when I feel like I'm alone, and where I feel like the grass is much greener on the other side.  In these instances it would be easy to say I've already done my part in the time I've spent serving the Lord. It would be easy to say I've already baptized more people than most missionaries do in their respective missions. Why subject myself to the hardships of a mission, and then I remember why I do it. I do it because the worth of one soul is great in the sight of God. More importantly how great will be my joy if I should bring many souls unto my Father in Heaven.

On Saturday Elder Valdez and I took a couple to the visitor center to watch the new Joseph Smith video. We got done watching the film and Josh, who is an inactive member of the church, undoubtedly felt the spirit that was present in the theater. I bore my testimony of The Book Of Mormon, of Joseph Smith, and this couple said they believed that it was true as well. For me that experience was monumental as a missionary. I realized there are inactive members that have fallen so far away from the path of righteousness they have lost their own testimonies. It really saddens me to see that. I also realized from that experience that whether Rosario gets baptized or not I fulfilled my purpose to the fullest extent of my abilities. My testimony also grew in the knowledge of the love of our Savior has for each and everyone of us. He wants us to know of Him and His church. We just need to have the desires to find it. Make it a great week and replace fear with faith. I know my Savior lives. He is the reason for the season. I have felt his profound love for me. I know this church is true. Vaya con Dios.

God is love,
Elder Bennion

Elder Cameron Bennion and Elder Cody Hayden






No comments:

Post a Comment