Monday, June 20, 2011

Week 17: The Mormon Miracle

Another week has passed by and another chance I've had to see my Father in Heaven's hand in my life. Every week seems to hold some new surprise or blessing for me. I just have a stronger testimony every week of the truthfulness of this church. This is the gospel of Jesus Christ taught when he was here on the earth. This week we had the start of the Mormon Miracle Pageant and what a great experience that was. The turnout was great! On Friday there was 12,000 people and around 10,000 people Saturday. Friday night, before the show, Elder David A. Bednar spoke to the cast and he was maybe 8 feet in front of me. Just being in the presence of a special witness of Jesus Christ is amazing. Apostles have this spirit about them that is unlike anything else. Saturday night Ronald A. Rasband of the Presidency of the seventy and Sister Wixom who is the Primary President spoke. My new companion Elder Cram and I had to give a training to the cast about how to obtain referrals in front of Elder Rasband and Sister Wizom. We were not told we would be doing that so I was a little nervous to do it, especially with Elder Rasband sitting right behind me. It went really well though. I even got to talk with the Rasband’s for several minutes after the devotional. I really like them.

I mentioned I got another new companion. Elder Lopez was transferred and now my new companion is Elder Cram. He is from Kauai Hawaii and has been out for 13 months. He is a pretty good guy and served with Elder Brown in Ephraim Before I came here. He also went to BYUH in the winter of 2010 so he knows a few people I know out there. Talking about Hawaii has made me miss it a lot more. He likes playing his ukulele everyday and sometimes I have to leave the room because it is too distracting to see pictures of a good friend in Hawaii on my wall and hear Hawaiian music.

I still feel like I'm carrying a lot of the work load this transfer and definitely am not being treated like this is my second transfer in the field. Being exactly obedient is important to me out here even when it is not so important to everyone else. The work is really going well though. We had 37 lessons this past week which was even better than last week! I never thought that would be possible. I just refuse to let road blocks slow me down or the work of our Heavenly Father. This work is not about me, it is not about any other missionary. God could do this work without my help. In reality, I am but privileged enough to be expanding the kingdom of God. To the extent we are worthy vessels we have the privilege to be instruments in this miraculous work of God. Because of this I am working harder than ever. The circumstances of things should play no factor in how effectively I'm able to share the gospel. I've learned thus far you do not need a formal setting to teach people about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Every time someone answers the door I want to bare my testimony and share a scripture because that is how you plant seeds which expose people to the gospel of Jesus Christ. THAT is how you invite the spirit into the hearts of the people you talk to. I love these people so much it is crazy. They are my brothers and sisters and to help them come to know our Father in Heaven is no better feeling.

Being that it was Father's Day yesterday I read Enos 1:1 and it said, "behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father’s that he was a just man- for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord- and blessed be the name of my God for it-". Fathers are so important in our lives. Sometimes they lead by example and show us what to do. Sometimes it is never saying a swear word like my dad that really sets a great example for us. Other times it is from their mistakes that we learn what we do not want our lives to be like. Whatever the case, dads are important men. I'm so thankful to have a mother and a father who are endowed members of the church. You two make me so proud. I love you guys. Vaya con Dios.

God is love,

Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment