Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 16: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest

Where did the time go?! Week one with my new companion is over and what a week it was. I guess I will start with Tuesday. Tuesday was the day of transfers. It was really strange to see Elder Brown go this week. He really was like an older brother to me. I learned so much from him and it was like working with my brother through out the day. People always told us it was apparent we got along and it was true, we really did. that being said, Elder Lopez is a stud of a companion as well. Tuesday, right after transfers, we went to work and it was the most amazing thing, people actually just invited us into their homes! Hispanics (Mexicans especially) treat us so much differently when one of us is Hispanic. We ended up having a total of 8 lessons that day! My old record with Elder Brown was 5 lessons in a day and now Elder Lopez and I average 5-7 lessons per day! We ended up finishing the week with 33 total lessons! That being said, I have to say I have had some hard times this week. Before, Elder Brown basically planned our day out and I was able to really learn as the junior companion. My role is drastically different this transfer. This transfer I plan most of our lessons, plan our lunches and figure who we are eating with for dinner. It has really been stressful for me because these people and this area mean so much to me. I feel like a large load has been placed on me and I'm afraid of failure. What if I miss someone who is in need of the gospel in their lives? That is my biggest concern but it has helped me be better about having a constant prayer in my heart that Heavenly Father will always be there at my side to lead and guide me to the people that are ready.  I love this work!
Church can be depressing sometimes. The branch is so small and it makes me wish I could do more to fill the pews. Elder Lopez was in shock at what our branch looks like. We had 37 total people there last Sunday, 22 Hispanics, and 10 of those Hispanics were children. I guess I had forgot what a "normal ward" was like. it really hit me how desperately we need to grow this branch.
I forgot to mention Elder Lopez is from Tijuana Mexico. He learned English at SLC community college and now his family lives in Kayesville Utah.
On Friday night Elder Lopez and I didn't have a dinner appointment so we went and got Sandwiches at Candie's on Main in Manti. If you are ever in Manti I'm telling you that is the place to stop for candy. The shop is every little kids dream and the sandwiches they make taste just as good as when my mom made them! :) Anyway we got our sandwiches and went up to the hill behind the temple and had dinner. Elder Lopez said it was really "odd" that we were going to do that because it was like a date. I'm not going to lie, if I wasn't a missionary and had my tag on I would think it looked a little odd seeing two guys go for a picnic on the temple lawn haha but I really enjoyed it. The hill reminded me of the hill behind the Laie temple and how you could just look out over the city. If anyone ever is in Manti, sandwiches at the temple is a GREAT idea.
With all the changes and responsibility this week I really found comfort in Matthew 11:28-30. To me this is one of the most beautiful scriptures in the bible and it says, " Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." What comfort we can find in the scriptures and the words from the mouth of Jesus Christ. Wherever it may be, at home or work, if we find ourselves faced with an amount of work that seems insurmountable we always have God and Jesus Christ. Christ endured every burden, pain, and struggle we have facing right now. The Atonement was fulfilled for every single one of us. Take advantage of the blessing which come from that.
Enjoy your week and the good weather. (I hope) I will be working at the Pageant the 16th, 18th, and 26th! It should be a BLAST! The 16th we will have David A. Bedar there! I love apostles. VAYA CON DIOS.
God is love,
Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment