Monday, April 16, 2012

Semana 59: My Life Be Like... Ohh Ahh


 
Hola familia! I hope everything is good and chido back home. When is spring break for all the chamacos? (that means kids:) We had spring break last week here in carbon county. It was really strange. We have had such  good weather in the low 70's and all of a sudden the tempature dropped and we had snow flurries and major wind storms.
 
Missionary work has been about as bipolar as the weather this past week. It seems like we would have one really great day where missionary work was going well and the very next day I was like Nephi in 2nefi33:3-4.
 
Last week there was not much to report on. We had some really good lessons with less active members. The funniest thing that happened last week was our trip out to schoefeild. We went "Boregero hunting" aka; looking for Hispanic sheep herders out there. We did not have much success in finding any boregeros but I did succeed in making Elder Ayala really trunky although that was not my intention. Elder Ayala's jaw about dropped when we passed a road sign that said 50 miles to Provo. We heard there might be Latinos up at solider summit working but when we got up there it was apparent we were misinformed. When we got to solider summit, through the canyon it appeared as if we could see Mt. Timpanogus off in the distance! Crazzzzy.
 
Tuesday was probably one of the biggest faith building days of my mission. The day started off rough like most days here in Price. There was no one to teach and I was sad and frustrated. At times I feel like I'm teaching the Zoramites here in Price. Everywhere we went, NOTHING! As a missionary I have come to expect most people will not be ready to accept our message. What begins to break you down are the days, weeks, and months of people rejecting not only me but Jesus Christ. Sometimes I am shocked how people call themselves Christians and how they then act completely opposite. Finally, we were out in this little town called Helper. We saw a car with a Hispanic last name on it and a so we knocked the door. A man opened the door. Before I could even ask how he was doing he told me to get the heck out of there  and not to come back. I don't know why but that last door slammed in my face was the clincher. I got in the car turned the stereo as loud as it would go, put my sunglasses on, and silently started to cry. I've never cried on my mission until this point. We went home to grab a paper and I told sister Oveson (the family we live with) about the day. I asked if we could do some sort of service so I could feel some what useful. We dug a hole out for a sand box and went to dinner at the Clavero's. After dinner we went to visit the Ramirez family who is less active/ a part member family. When we got there they were cooking and Elder Ayala said we should just go back later. With that said I told him all they can say is it is not a good time but I'm determined to talk with them. It turned out being one of the best nights I've had in Price. Brother Ramirez shared some questions he has had about God forgiving him for some of his past transgressions. We taught David who is preparing to get baptized this month and we ended up having a second dinner with them. I just felt at home with the Ramirez family.It ended up taking a lot longer than I though it would be it was completely worth it. When we are in the service of others we are only in the service of our God.
 
I wish I had time to explain the rest of the week. It was a roller coaster of highs and lows. Times where I felt like a sailboat in a hurricane and other moments where I felt like I was walking on sunshine. Carlos Estrudillo is the man. He is such an awesome kid. He plays soccer for Carbon High. He reminds me of myself when I was learning about the church. He is not even a member yet but we are planning to take him out teaching with us. That is how solid he is. Yesterday I translated from Spanish to English and then we had a couple who only spoke English for their talks so I translated to Spanish as well. Last week in church I gave a talk on the resurrection of Jesus Christ for Easter. That was followed up by teaching the young adults and priesthood.
 
The greatest lesson I was reminded of this week were the words I read in Isaiah 55:8-9. "For my athoughts are not byour thoughts, neither are your cways my dways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my aways bhigher than your ways, and my cthoughts than your thoughts." Time and time again I ask why things happen the way they do and time and time again I am reminded by the words of the Savior, "because your ways are not my ways". Oh how hard it is to humble myself and remember my ways are not always the way of the lord. He is the only way to transform myself from a boy into the man I want to be. 
 
I'm so proud of all the missionaries we have serving in our ward! Is the total now something like 5?! We are giving the wards in Utah a run for their money. I love you all. You are in my prayers daily. Vaya con Dios. 
 
Dios es amor,
 
Elder Bennion
 
P.S. Did you have a chance to call and talk with the academic advisers at BYU and BYUH to square everything away?

No comments:

Post a Comment