Wednesday, September 7, 2011

WEEK 27:Welcome To Potentialville, Number Of Hispanics Wanting To Put Christ First... To Be Determined


Happy late Labor Day! Everyone is basically back in school and I'm hoping the weather will start to cool down. I'm not walking now but the steering wheel in the car gets so hot! I literally can't touch it. I've tried covering it with a towel yet it still manages to feel like I'm gripping the sun.

Well this was my first full week in Washington. It is funny what a change Washington is from downtown St. George. Washington is much newer, with lots of stores, and BIG houses. It reminds me a lot east Vancouver and Camas. I kind of feel more at home here. I can't really explain it. I can't decide if that is a good or bad thing either.

I've been really busy this week since both Elder Lopez and I are new to this area. Meeting people that have been talking to the missionaries, finding new people to teach, and meeting church leadership keeps our planners full. On top of that Elder Lopez is the district leader so we are always doing baptism interviews at the Visitor Center at the Temple. Elder Lopez did about five last week and he has at least four this week planned. Elder Lopez is the Elder I served with in Ephraim for 1 1/2 weeks. He is from Tijuana Mexico. He has really grown as a missionary since I previously served with him so I'm glad we have the chance to serve together down here.

This area I'm serving in right now is interesting though. In St. George Spanish none of the people I taught spoke English. Now our most consistent investigators speak English. I feel pretty comfortable speaking Spanish now and they want to speak English! I'm fine with teaching in English and I feel the words I say in English have more power but I liked the challenge of having to teach in Spanish. Plus Elder Lopez has a much easier time teaching in Spanish. His English is really good but he like to talk a lot and when he teaches in English the lessons tend to drag on and on.

This week we have been teaching this girl named Michelle who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ. She believes there is a God and that Satan exists (She read the Satan bible and was in to wicken stuff...) but she doesn't believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God. It has been rough teaching her really rough. There have been lessons where I feel the spirit so strongly I'm fighting to hold back tears and she is oblivious to the Holy Ghost which is so present in the room. I was reading in Mosiah 3:17 which says "... I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given or any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent." We watched Finding Faith In Christ last time we taught her and I can't count how many time I could have cried and I am not a crier. I can't come close to putting into words my unwavering testimony in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I know He was the Lamb of God. I know that my Redeemer lives and it kills me someone could have been so hurt so many times as a child to not have a faith in something that is so omnipotent in my life. Being a parent is a sacred responsibility and is sad to see the aftermath of irresponsible parenting. After this week and teaching this girl, studying the fundamental, and the doctrine of Christ I have an even greater love for Him. This is the true church. This is my testimony. Vaya con Dios.

God is love,
Elder Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment